The annual production of Sing Song is well underway and all aspects of the show are getting in order and ready to go, including the judges.
Sing Song judges are chosen new every year and are placed into different categories to judge the show from.
Those five categories, vocals, entertainment, set and props, choreography and costumes, have a total of 29 judges spread out for all three of the shows. The judges are chosen based on their expertise and their connection to ACU and Sing Song.
Liz Wong, senior interior design major from McKinney, is one of many students working to put the show on this year. Working as a Student Director and Co-Director of GATA’s club act, Wong is also in charge of helping reach out to choose judges.
“I am in charge of helping recruit and contact judges for Sing Song. This involves reaching out to alumni, staff, and faculty who I think would be a good fit for Sing Song. I help gauge their expertise and place them in the category that best suits their talents and Sing Song experience,” Wong said.
For each category, there are seven vocal and entertainment judges, five costume judges, five set and props judges and five choreography judges and all of which have been picked because they are qualified to do so.
Acts are graded based on a point accumulation system in each category. Costumes, set and choreography are each worth 15 percent total. Entertainment is worth 20 percent and vocals are worth 35 percent of the total score.
“Judges are chosen based on their expertise and Sing Song experience. For example, we have a judge who directs musicals, judges who are choir directors and judges that have directed club or class acts,” Wong said.
During each of the three shows, different awards will be awarded each night. For example, best costumes and sets will be awarded at the end of Friday’s show, best choreography will be awarded during Saturday afternoon’s show and entertainment, vocals and the overall winner will be announced at the conclusion of Saturday night’s show.