A smoke machine in one of the dorm rooms in Mabee Hall caused the fire alarm to go off on Thursday night. ACU Police responded to the incident.
Jordan Bunch, area coordinator of Mabee Hall said, the smoke machine was included in a party in one of the rooms.
The ACU Police responded to the alarm at 9:30 p.m. Thursday night and showed up to Mabee Hall before the fire department. The ACU Police found no evidence of illicit drugs or alcoholic beverages in the dorm room with the smoke machine.
“There wasn’t any kind of illegal activity going on other than the fire alarm being activated,” said Chief Ellison from the ACU Police Department.
There isn’t a rule against smoke machines in the dorm rooms, however, Bunch said the smoke machine itself wasn’t the issue, it was the smoke. ACU is charged $250 every time the fire department is called.
“It wasn’t that big of a deal except for the fact that the fire department had to come out and we had to evacuate the building because we thought there was a fire,” said Bunch.
The residents who were involved took responsibility for their actions and wish to remain anonymous.
The consequences for those involved remain unknown. The incident is still being processed through judicial affairs.