Photo taken by junior BioChemistry major Madi Dye.
A fire caused by fireworks during the football game threatened student and others’ homes, but firemen were on sight to put the fire out, on Sept. 21.
The university shot off fireworks during the national anthem for the game against McNeese State when the fire occurred. The field across from Wildcat Stadium on Ambler Avenue caught fire. This field is where ACU throwers go to practice.
There are many homes of students on Ambler, and junior biochemistry major Madi Dye’s house was close to the flames.
“When l got to the house, l saw the first moving closer to the end of the field closest to our house and then was there until after the fireman put it out,” Dye said. “It had to be right at the end of the tailgate that day because the fireworks ACU sets off at the kickoff of games is what caught it on fire, but I trusted the fire department to put it out.”
ACU Police Chief Jimmy Ellison said the fire began from a firework and that the 15-mph-wind pushed the fireworks from the top of the press box or visitor side. According to ACU Police, the stadium officials did not shoot touchdown fireworks the rest of the game.
“The fireworks are controlled by a control system in the press box by an outside vendor that has a professional pyrotechnician and they are not like regular fireworks you see at shows, they are supposed to burn up in the air before they reach the ground again,” Ellison said.
The Abilene Fire Department was called and arrived on the scene quickly. They were able to contain the fire in about five minutes. The university has yet to decide whether it will continue using touchdown fireworks.