We are fourteen days into 2015 and not only have I already failed to keep all of my New Year’s resolutions, but I’ve forgotten what they were to begin with.
The idea of a clean slate is appealing and new beginnings sound refreshing. But neither of those are enough to change the ways of a creature of habit like myself.
I enjoy making resolutions and undergoing the ritual of self-assessment that it demands. But my days quickly turn into weeks and my New Year quickly becomes a new start for old habits.
For example, last year I resolved to read more. Then I went back to school.
In 2013, I resolved to drink less coffee. Then my roommate got a Keurig.
In 2012, my resolution was to use a whole tube of Chapstick before buying a new one. It dissolved in the washing machine on Jan. 3.
I can set long term goals like an Olympian. I can make a four-year plan as good as any life coach. But when it comes to trying even the simplest new daily routine, I’m worthless. I’m told to make simpler resolutions, but I think those ones are actually the most difficult to achieve. I can execute a plan to circumnavigate the globe, but I will never remember to put my shoes back in my closet.
Thankfully, I’m not alone.
According to a 2014 study done by the University of Scranton, only 8 percent of people who make resolutions are actually successful in achieving them. This gives me hope that maybe the other 92 percent have already given up by week two as well. Maybe the other 92 percent of us underachievers will have better luck with our MLK Day resolutions.